Missing Him…

4 years ago today I got that unexpected phone call, my Dad had passed away, he was only 53
His Birthday was the following day
Instead of celebrating, we were mourning
When he passed away, I chose to celebrate his life
He lived every day to the fullest
So instead of being sad that he’s gone
Today I will remember all of the great things about him!
My wedding day was the best day I ever had with my Dad.
He told me things he had never told me before and they just made my heart happy
We danced to “My Girl”
He was so nervous about the dance that he tried to study the dance steps, it was a fox trot
His studying didn’t really pay off but we did alright
My Dad was a Navy man!
He smoked Kool cigarettes and would roll them up in his shirt sleeve
He was handsome too!! I had this picture of him hanging up in my room and my friends Mom’s would always comment on how good looking he was.
HE LOVED HIS COFFEE!!
Sometimes he would add a little extra “flavor” (if you know what I mean)
He also LOVED this red shirt!
He always called me Kiddo or Kate
He spelled my name Katy instead of Katie like everyone else
He played the drums….LIKE A ROCK STAR, he was soo good!
Kaylin gets this from him, you should see her bang away on a drum set, she’s a natural
He played the saxophone when he was a kid
He had a little devil tattoo on his arm that said “Born to Raise Hell”
He rode Motorcycles
He loved gardening and playing in his mulch pile
He was creative, he could draw, paint, and whittle wood
He even made a couch once
He liked to keep rocks in his pocket
(Kaylin likes to always have a rock with her too)
He made the biggest plate of food at Thanksgiving but always ate every last bit
He was a Sacramento Kings fan and LOVED talking sports to Brian
He was proud to have Brian as his son-in-law and loved to poke fun at him
I remember so much about my Dad and I’m so thankful I had the relationship with him that I did.
I was his little girl and one thing I’ll never forget is that he told me
“I’m the daughter he always wanted”
In Loving Memory
Robert Richard Tassinari
Sept. 29, 1954 – Sept. 28, 2007
When I come to the end of the road,
And the sun has set for me,
I want no rites in gloom-filled rooms,
Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little–but not too long,
And not with your head bowed low;
Remember the love that we once shared
Miss me–but let me go,
For this is a journey that we all must take,
And each must go alone.
It’s all a part of the Master’s plan,
A step on the road to home,
Miss me – but let me go.

35 comments on “Missing Him…

1. Looks like some good memories for you! I’m sure he’s watching over you from above. :)

2. Nicole J @ Knocked Up on said:

It sounds like he was an amazing father. You were really lucky to have him even if your times together were cut short. **Hugs**

3. I’m so sorry you had to go through the sadness of losing your dad at such a young age but I’m glad you have so many wonderful memories of him. I also all the traits he passed on to Kaylin! It’l be fun to see what traits of his your son picks up on!

4. Phil and Darby Hawley on said:

This is beautiful post on a wonderful father-daughter relationship. Thinking of you today

5. What a beautiful tribute! Will keep you and your family in prayers today!

6. Nicole Haren on said:

There is never a day that doesn’t go by when i don’t think of my brother. No one ever prepares us for death and the sadness that comes with it. You are always going to be a “Daddy’s Girl” and kaylin will be a spitting image of your dad just to make life more fun, just like my daughter is a spitting image of my brother. Never forget the love and always cherish the memories.

7. An Irish Italian Blessing on said:

Thanks everyone! Your comments make me smile :)

8. Jeannette on said:

You post made me cry. Such a sweet tribute to your dad. He sounds like he was a wonderful father and it is so special that you are honoring him and keeping his memory alive today. Praying for peace for you today!

9. such a beautiful post honoring your father. it brought tears to my eyes. such wonderful photos and words, so touching.what an amazing tribute and beautiful memories.you’re in my prayers.<3maria

10. Kassi @ Truly Lovely on said:

I love that poem. So fitting. And so awesome you have these photos and memories to share with your kiddos about their grandpa!

11. Tiffanie on said:

Beautiful! Loved the photos. The poem is beautiful as well!

12. Jennifer on said:

What an absolutely beautifully written and heartfelt post. Your dad would be so proud of the woman you are today :)

13. I Am Not Superwoman on said:

What a wonderful tribute to your dad! I am sure he is looking down on you, Brian, Kaylin and Braden, missing you guys as much as you miss him.

14. anyone who lives life to the fullest and on their own terms gets the utmost respect — a beautiful tribute to your dad!(my younger son’s birthday is tomorrow as well as one of my best friend’s, and another friend of mine’s son — a popular b-day for amazing people!)

15. This is beautiful my friend. I enjoyed reading the whole thing and have a better appreciation for who you are. Great man. xoxoxoVivianp.s Don’t forget about my giveaway :)

16. Amanda Joy on said:

I am sorry for the pain this time of year brings, but I am so glad that you have so many memories with your father. You will be able to tell your kids many stories, so that they can remember pieces of him, even thought they never met.

17. Grumpy Grateful Mom on said:

Your words brought tears to my eyes. I love how your post really celebrated your dad. How amazing that you can see pieces of him in your daughter.

18. What a beautiful tribute to your dad, it made me cray- I too lost my dad three years ago right before his birthday… Love to you on this dayI’ve Become My Mother

19. This is a beautiful post. It’s so neat that you are already able to see traits in Kaylin from your dad. <3

20. What a beautiful post and tribute to your dad! What gorgeous photos Katherine! My thoughts are with you today!

21. Such a sweet, lovely post! I’m sorry for your loss, and I know you must really miss him!I loved the “daughter he always wanted” part…Gillian.xo

22. A beautiful tribute to a man who meant the world to his little girl.Thank you for sharing your memories

23. What a beautiful post! Your dad sounds like an amazing man. It sounds like the two of you had such an amazing relationship.

24. Francine on said:

I am holding back my tears as I am writing this comment. That was truly beautiful and a tribute to your wonderful dad. Seems like you were both so very lucky. Thank you for letting me be a part of that. Isn’t it a wonderful feeling to know that you are loved like that. Hugs

25. This is so super sweet. You made me cry. My daddy passed away when he was 51, so I understand. And he was a lot like you describe yours. You got so much from him :) And you are using all that love and passion in your family of creation… he would be so proud :)

26. Mrs. Pancakes on said:

Oh wow…what a lovely tribute! You almost made cry reading this! But you remind me it’s important to celebrate a person’s life!

27. oh my goodness, I’m crying. What a wonderful man and a beautiful relationship the two of you shared. Just wonderful that you are able to keep his memory alive. Love that wedding picture, you looked absolutely beautiful and SO happy :)

28. hi .. a nice share. regards from indonesia.

29. TexaGermaNadian on said:

What an absolutely beautiful post to honor and remember him. There is no love more special than that between a daughter and father. He would be so happy to read this. Thinking about you, and know that you might be hurting, but glad you are also remembering him as a great man.

30. this is such an amazing post and memorial for your dad. wow, brought tears to my eyes!i am almost jealous of your beautiful relationship. thank you for sharing this!cheers.

31. JDaniel4's Mom on said:

What a wonderful man! It sounds like he said thing on your wedding day he had waited to say and you had waited to hear.

32. Venassa on said:

It sounds like he was a really great dad. And you’re right – he is good looking. It’s so nice that you’re looking on his passing in a positive way. That’s not always something easy to do. I love the wedding photo of you two. You look so happy.

33. Lexie Loo, Little Lily, and Dylan Too! on said:

This was such a sweet post. It sounds like he was a wonderful man!

34. Sorry girl! Just catching up! Your dad sounds like a wonderful man! Daughters always need their dads!

35. installment loans on said:

pumkins are good in to maintain health.