Add Text to Shapes in Microsoft Word Tutorial

Add Text to Shapes in Microsoft Word Tutorial

Months back I pinned this tutorial on how to add text to shapes in Microsoft Word. Here’s the pin if you want to check it out. I went back to the pin make my Valentine’s Creation and clicked on the pin and the blog is no longer around. I searched and searched for the tutorial and couldn’t find anything. So if this looks familiar, I used the picture from the pin as inspiration and went to work figuring out how to do this. Now, there is a huge possibility that my way and the original way are two totally different ways so here is the way I figured out how to do it. I tried several different ways to get this done too so please, if you have an easier way, feel free to share :)

(If the screen shots are too small, click on them to enlarge)

Step 1: Create New Word Document. I use the Landscape Page Layout Orientation, Widen my Margins, and Centered my text. Then Type your Text.

I used the song my husband and I danced to at our wedding: “It’s Our Love” Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. Here’s how mine looked after I increased the font size and added color to the words I wanted to highlight.You can see how it looks with wide margins, centered text and landscape page layout. This helps when pasting into the shape by filling it entirely to avoid spaces.

Step 2: Copy your Text from Microsoft Word. Open your Paint program, and Paste your text into the Paint document. After you paste your text, you’ll need to crop all that white space.

This is what it will look like after you crop the white space. You can only see the text on the white background.

Step 3: Save your Paint file as a picture. I use jpeg but png works fine as well.

Step 4: Go back to Microsoft Word and draw your shape. Here I’m using a heart but there are several shapes you can choose from. Go to the top tab and select shapes, the drop down menu will show you your shapes. You can then draw it on your document in whatever size you’d like.

Step 5: Insert your Text Picture inside the shape. Under your format toolbar, you can select Shape Fill and the drop down menu has the option for a Picture. Select Picture and then upload your Paint Document you saved earlier. This loads the text picture into the shape.

This is what it will look like:

Step 6: Remove the outline. Under Format, select Shape Outline and select the “No Outline” option. It removes the line around the heart.

Finally!

You can then print it out on a nice cardstock and frame it for a perfect gift!

I made a surf board one for my  little dude just for fun. The opportunities are endless here. Enjoy!!

64 comments on “Add Text to Shapes in Microsoft Word Tutorial

1. Darby Hawley on said:

This is awesome. Just pinned!

2. Jennifer R on said:

That is great! Thanks so much for sharing!!

3. Dree Getz on said:

Pinned. Thanks for the great tutorial. I love the idea of using our song in the heart.

4. Danielle @ We Have It All on said:

NO WAY!?! I had no idea this could even be done, thank so much for this! I am totally going to give it a try!

5. Amber - Binkertation on said:

wicked neato idea. I’m going to give it a try!

6. Natasha SerenityYou on said:

thanks for this fantastic tutorial!!!Natasha @ www.serenityyou.com

7. Love it! Thanks for sharing! :)

8. Jodi S on said:

Genius!!love it and pinning.. will come in handy :) stopping in from a night owl

9. Michelle Marino on said:

This is great ! Cant wait to try this myself :-)

10. Elisebet Freeburg on said:

I always wondered how people did this! Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

11. Carrie @ My Favorite Finds on said:

I love this! And it’s funny how something so simple can look so beautiful. Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

12. Miranda Sherman on said:

Wow! This is awesome! I have so many ideas and I can’t wait to begin working on them! Thanks for the amazing tutorial! Miranda

13. Designed Decor on said:

Great step by step, very easy to understand. I am bookmarking it, so don’t go anywhere! I just started a new link party and would love if you would come on over and share your post or social media sites. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party-5/DeDe@DesignedDecor

14. Wow! This is fun. I use Word all day, every day, and there are still so many things I just don’t know about it. Thanks for sharing!

15. SavingsInSeconds on said:

Pinned this! Such a great tip. I always needed to know how to avoid having the big white empty space around the word. Thanks!!

16. MikiHope on said:

WOW–I have got to try this when I have the time!! What a great way to make a personalized card/gift!!

17. Sassy Wife on said:

This is awesome. I will use this to make some fancy stationary for an event that I having next weekend.

18. Lyly Tee on said:

Thanks for sharing this idea! I love it! Definitely going to try it for my handmade V-day card.

19. Maria Long on said:

wow that is amazing also quite a chore for you to do. Great tutorial. You should just sell them on Etsy:)

20. Jennifer Hughes on said:

Terrific tip. Thanks!

21. Juliana RW on said:

Awesome…. Thanks for the tutorial :D

22. Randi Poole on said:

This is such an adorable tutorial. I had no idea you could do this!!

23. this is so cool thank you for sharing

24. Christy Maurer on said:

That is seriously cool! I never knew how to do that. Thanks for the tutorial :)

25. Debra Ann Elliott on said:

Cool!

26. Paula Bendfeldt-Diaz on said:

This is great and so easy thanks!!

27. Joy@aVintageGreen on said:

Pinned before I even commented. What a GREAT idea – thank you so much for writing a tutorial. LOVE IT. Found your post from Maiden D’Shade.Joy

28. Lauren Ivy Chiong on said:

Great post–this is so much fun–would love to give this a try! Thank you so much for sharing :)

29. Jennifer Channell on said:

Great and fun idea. Thanks for sharing

30. Angie Ouellette-Tower on said:

You have a wonderful blog!! I’m your newest GFC follower from the “Mop It Up Mondays” blog hop – this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.comThanksAngie

31. Shaffer Sisters on said:

Awesome tutorial! I had learned how to do this a long time ago in one of my design classes, but couldn’t remember for the life of me how to do it. I love that you used your wedding song, I know my husband isn’t super sentimental but the wedding song continues to be special to us. I think this would be so fun to do with nursery rhymes and shapes. I am pinning this for the future. With Love,~Scary, fromThe Shaffer Sisters

32. Lisa Lynn on said:

Great idea! I found you on the Clever Chicks Hop and I would love to have you join the fun on my Creative HomeAcre Hop!http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop.htmlHope to see you there!

33. Theresa on said:

I love this idea. I never knew you could do that Thanks for sharing your tutorial. Theresa @ DearCreatives.com Hope to see you again soon! & have a great rest of your week.

34. Bonny Yokeley on said:

I had no idea Word could do this! I love this idea. Have you tried tagxedo? It does something similar. I posted about it here: http://thedomesticatedprincess.blogspot.com/2012/12/awesome-interactive-websites-for-free.html. However, it prints individual words, and Sunday, I was wanting to print a Bible passage into a heart but figured I wouldn’t be able to. Now I can thanks to your tutorial!

35. Sue Boyer on said:

Wow, how cool! I didn’t know that could be done. Thank you so much for the tutorial.We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.http://simpleesue.com/honduras-missions-making-things-last

36. Heaven's Walk on said:

Sweeeet! I love this idea! I had to pin it! So cute!oxo laurie

37. I love it, thank you for the detailed instructions. I’ll have to give it a try.Visiting from pret-a-vivre.com

38. Awesome!

39. angiemosteller on said:

Love this . . . thank you for the tutorial!

40. 4 You With Love on said:

This is great! I never knew how to do this but I do now! ;) I just pinned it and tweeted it! I’m hosting a loving valentine’s day party and I’d love for you to stop by. http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2013/02/loving-valentines-day-party-link-up.htmlHave a wonderful day!Marilyn

41. Little Ladybird on said:

Love this! Thanks for sharing. I have just joined your blog so I can follow you now :) Tash www.littleladybird.com.au

42. I'll Love You Forever on said:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I never knew how to do it. :) Thanks for sharing!

43. Diana - FreeStyleMama on said:

Great tutorial! Thanks for linking up at my Pin Me Linky Party.

44. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon on said:

What a fabulous idea and such a wonderful tutorial!! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Funday!

45. Found you over at One Creative Weekend! Love this idea–super simple! Thanks for sharing! I pinned it and am now following you on Pinterest and Facebook!Cindycrazylou

46. Sugar Aunts on said:

This is so cool! What a great tutorial, thanks for sharing on Share it Saturday!

47. Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com on said:

I featured your idea today on One Creative Weekend! The new party is open. I’d love it if you stopped by, grabbed a featured button, and linked up anything new you’d like to share at OneCreativeMommy.com.

48. Great idea! I found you through Freedom Friday’s Blog hop. I will have to see if my Mac can do something similar as I don’t have Word on it. My husband has to travel and I always want to send creative notes with him in his luggage, so I’ve pinned it to that new board of mine! Thanks.

49. Kassi Mortensen on said:

This is BRILLIANT!!! Thanks for sharing this at Fancy This Fridays! We featured it today! http://www.trulylovelyblog.net/2013/02/fancy-this-fridays-113-and-features/

50. Holly Lefevre (504 Main) on said:

Great idea! I am including it on my Valentines Day round up this weekend! Holly, 504 Main

51. Peggy Hale on said:

What a simple and cute idea. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial and for joining us at Transformed Tuesday. Hugs, Peggy~PJH Designs

52. Tina Pippo on said:

Wonderful tutorial! So cute!!!Great post!! I included it in my post Βόλτα στη Γειτονιά #21 :) Have a great week!!

53. Mindie Hilton on said:

Featuring on Bacon Time soon!

54. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon on said:

featured you on Monday Funday tonight!

55. Betsy Pool on said:

This is a great tutorial!! So glad you linked up at Romance on a dime!!

56. Jessi @ Practically Functional on said:

Thanks so much for sharing this! I featured it on my blog today! You can check it out and grab a featured button here: The Fun In Functional link party

57. rosie on said:

thanks for this but I cannot get it to work. when I click on fill shape it doesn’t fill in the heart shape x

58. Michael on said:

First, Great tutorial!! Next,what type font and size do you use on your tutorial? Also, How do I change the color of my font on this page?

59. Michael on said:

Never mind on the color of the font. It changed on it’s own, when I posted the commit.

60. Thanks so much from Australia LOL finally took the time to read each part and now are itching to use for my husbands birthday in 2 days!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! :)

61. thanks so much. I have a long way to go to learn what you can do with computers.

62. Thanks for all the help. This Grandma has a lot to learn about what’s possible on her computer

63. Trilby Bias on said:

Thanks for the awesome idea! Love it!!! I just have one problem… After I save it as a JPEG image, the image becomes fuzzy and unfocused. Any thoughts as to why?

64. This is great. What can I do for shapes that are not in word. I want to do this with a question mark…