90 Years of Awesome!

90!Happy 90th Birthday to my AMAZING Grandfather!

When it comes to my Grandpa, I could probably write for days about how incredible he is. In my family, he and I are kindred spirits. Similar in so many ways like our sarcastic sense of humor, our ability to hold in our emotions and be strong for others, yet generous in wanting to help others.

He is truly a remarkable human being. Anyone who has had the pleasure of knowing him will tell you the same. As a child I never knew just special he was but as I became an adult, I recognized the values he instilled in me. The values that I am so proud to posses, I owe to him. He taught me about what’s important in life, he taught me to be strong, he taught me to work hard. He taught me these things because he DEMONSTRATED these values.

Every Thursday, me and my kids have lunch with Grandpa. Over lunch I listen to stories of his life. I sit fascinated as he tells me about his Navy days aboard the USS Samuel Johnston liberty ship and his trips to North Africa, or when he returned home on leave to go on a blind date where he met my Grandmother. He tells me about the awful decision he made to go get an Anchor tattooed on his forearm, because that’s what guys did back then!  He recalled a story of his 21st birthday in the service and he had 2 chocolate bars and 2 beers and him and his buddies put on their poncho’s and “Putt hats” and watched a movie in the rain. He remembers it was a musical.

His memory is sharp as a tack and he can remember names and dates like you wouldn’t believe. Last Thursday was the anniversary of D-Day and he told me exactly where he was on that very day. I listen to stories of his many jobs he had, at what age, and who his boss was. The picture to the left was his first job interview he went on after he returned from the service. He remembers the day he got his first retirement check and has the picture to prove it.

We don’t talk a lot about when he had to step in and take custody of my sister and I. I don’t tell him how appreciative I  am that he decided to raise us. I don’t tell him how grateful I am that he was hard on me and expected a lot, because of those expectations, I tried harder to please him. Not knowing that my hard work was  more of a reward for myself than it was for him. I rarely say THANK YOU for giving me an opportunity to have the life I want.

BUT,  I am thankful, appreciative, and so very grateful to him.

I’m beyond blessed to have this awesome guy in my life as my grandfather, as my mentor, as my friend, and as my hero. He saved my life more than he’ll ever know. One day I’ll get the courage to tell him but we don’t like all that mushy stuff. So for now, writing my memories of him on his birthday will have to suffice. Happy Birthday Grandpa, you are truly one of a kind and I look forward to lunch next Thursday and many Thursday’s after that!

Comments

1. Areeba Siddique says:

Happy Birthday to him. Aww he is so sweet. Unfortunately I don’t have one.

Good day!
    Cheers :)x

2. Michele says:

He and my Mom are the same age–she also is in great shape with a sharp mind.

3. Chavonne H says:

How sweet to celebrate your Grandfather. Happy Birthday!

4. How amazing for your kiddos to have their great-grandpa around to talk with and hear these amazing stories! Happy Birthday to him!

5. You are an amazing granddaughter too because you appreciate all your grandfather’s achievements :)

6. What an awesome grandfather you have! So nice to be blessed with amazing people in your life. Here’s a to wonderful 90th birthday!

7. Jessica Hehir says:

I feel such a strong attachment to my grandparents these days. It’s so great to read about other families that feel the same way. What a handsome photo. Why don’t people dress as well anymore??

8. Christopher Gx says:

This is a sweet post. Thank you for sharing your story.

9. Jennifer @ Money Aches says:

That’s great that you are able to take your kids to visit him each week. Grandparents are amazing.

10. Lexie Lane says:

Wow! 90! Happy Birthday to your granddad! I loved my grandparents.

11. Jennifer Hall says:

Sounds like a great man. You are truly blessed.

12. Manisha Patel says:

Excellent post about your grand dad! Blessings to your grand dad and your family from India. What’s the name of your grandpa?

13. Pamela R says:

Happy 90!! It’s a great post to honor him.

14. Corinne says:

I’m less than half his age and already have a worse memory. Happy birthday to him! How lucky you are to have him around still and in such great health. :-)

15. Christy Maurer says:

I love that he has shared so many memories with you. Both of my grandpas died when I was a teenager. My dad’s dad was totally unexpected and it devastated me! He was so funny and always said we kids pulled all of his hair out :) My mom’s dad had been in poor health most of the time I was growing up, but I was grandma’s girl so I did get to spend time with him growing up. Though I don’t know why your grandpa had to raise you, you are very lucky that he was there for you and is still there for you :) He did a great job because you are such a joy to have as a friend :) Hope he had a great birthday!

16. maria @close to home says:

so wonderful to have him around and so important to get the younger kids to hear his stories, I wish I asked more of my grandparents

17. Loreina says:

That is so awesome! Cherish those moments!! I re-live memories of my grandpa every day.

18. Felicia says:

Happy Birthday to him!! I really enjoyed this post and thought it was really sweet of you to write about him. It’s great that he’s around and is able to share his experiences with younger generations.

19. This is a wonderful tribute to your grandfather. And Hurrah for people who actually do demonstrate good values, like you noted your grandfather does! Happy Birthday to him!

20. Wow! You truly are blessed! I hope he had a wonderful birthday!

21. Jennifer Ruffin says:

Happy Belated Birthday to your grandpa! Thanks for sharing him with us!

22. Stefanie says:

What a birthday milestone! I hope he had a great day!

23. Lisa D.B. Taylor says:

What a lovely story and a great photograph! It’s wonderful you have those memories and times together.
    And thanks for visiting my blog, it’s how I found yours!
    Lisa at http://www.neebeep.com/itsownsweetwillneebeepc/